Partitions and External Storage and jellyfin

Hey all,

So I have a new setup now with a ThinkCentre M900 which has 6 USB-3 ports, which is amazing.

Currently I have my external storage that I use predominantly for Nextcloud, Collabora, and Syncthing.

Here is what I want to do. Install Jellyfin and move my two media drives over to then share back to my existing RP4 Kodi for the TV and Jellyfin for when I am away from home.

How do I go about adding the two drives that already have content to Syncloud and be able to route it to Jellyfin?

Followup for those with an existing Kodi, how do I map those drives back?

How do I go about adding the two drives that already have content to Syncloud and be able to route it to Jellyfin?

Syncloud supports multiple disks but it will need to format them with btrfs for that. So I would use another two disks and then copy the content to Syncloud. You could try with just one additional disk and then add a second (existing) but I strongly recommend to have a backup of all your data to do ann experiment like that.

Followup for those with an existing Kodi, how do I map those drives back?

In theory kodi can add various sources for example DLNA. Jellyfin should support it as well.

I must say I do not use them, but recently I had a very good experience at watching a movie on oculus quest 2 VR from Plex using DLNA where Jellyfin failed to do that. Maybe jellyfin to kodi using dlna is better.

Ok that gives me a workflow, i can do this with a spinning 4TB drive to play the test bunny. If it works then i can just play musical chairs with the shows and movies.

Yeah I figure the jellyin/plex to kodi, was thinking about that in reverse. If i can get the data moved over to jellyfon/plex then my source changes, ill check it out.

I think kodi can be a dlna source as well, just try various options and let me know if anything is broken.

Ok a few things, one from my test DLNA for Plex and Jellyfin appear to be out and not in so to speak.

Secondly, I tried to format a 5TB drive in the Storage section and it ends up taking ownership as the primary drive and disabled the drive I have my nextcloud data in. Resulting it the service only allowing 1 external drive instead of multiple. Any thoughts on how to resolve that?

Ok a few things, one from my test DLNA for Plex and Jellyfin appear to be out and not in so to speak.

What exactly does not work, can you not discover them or some error appearing?

Secondly, I tried to format a 5TB drive in the Storage section and it ends up taking ownership as the primary drive and disabled the drive I have my nextcloud data in. Resulting it the service only allowing 1 external drive instead of multiple. Any thoughts on how to resolve that?

One external storage can be used but it can contain multiple disks. So you attach one or more disks and activate them in Settings - Storage this will give you a storage under /data which is used by apps. This new multi disk storage is btrfs filesystem so you cannot mix it with other filesystems.

I believe you could attach a drive via USB and not format it with the Web GUI. Instead tell Jellyfin to look for media on the drive (create a library pointing to “/opt/disk/external/YOURDISK”). You would have to format it on a different machine or with a command before, I guess.