I have a couple questions about Syncloud

Hello,

I’m looking for an easy DIY self hosting option for someone like me that’s a Linux nerd but not a system admin by trade. Researching all the options Syncloud seems like the best fit for me. Open Source and at around $6 USD a month it’s affordable over the long term. I just have a couple questions before I try a deployment.

1. Have you considered adding a program like LlamaGPT so we can play with local LLMs?

2. Will I be able to pick the domains apps run at? For example instead of nextcloud.mydomain.com can I choose cloud.mydomain.com.

3. Will I be able to use my base domain for my Matrix address? For example @me:mydomain.com instead of something like @me:matrix.mydomain.com.

4. My kids would love to have a Minecraft server on the box. Is there a prescribed way to run a Minecraft Forge Server on a Syncloud server without compromising it’s security or reliability?

Hi

Have you considered adding a program like LlamaGPT so we can play with local LLMs?

Yes, we have one planned: llava ai: ai chat assistant · Issue #695 · syncloud/platform · GitHub

Is this what you are looking for?

Will I be able to pick the domains apps run at? For example instead of nextcloud.mydomain.com can I choose cloud.mydomain.com.

Not out of the box at the moment, but as it is open source anytning can be done.

Will I be able to use my base domain for my Matrix address? For example @me:mydomain.com instead of something like @me:matrix.mydomain.com.

Not at the moment.

My kids would love to have a Minecraft server on the box. Is there a prescribed way to run a Minecraft Forge Server on a Syncloud server without compromising it’s security or reliability?

In 2015 I thought we do not need it, but today it is different, feel free to reopen: Minecraft server app · Issue #35 · syncloud/platform · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Thinking about it the lack of a local LLM solution and the ability to use my root domain for Matrix is a deal breaker for me at the moment. I’m going to try Yunohost with lots of backups for breakage as following the discussions in their Matrix rooms Yunohost seems prone to breakage. Anyways, I fully understand not wanting to package the Minecraft server. Honestly I feel bad about even playing it since Microsoft bought it and started requiring players use Microsoft accounts to even play. Microsoft really is a terrible company but we do crazy things to make kids happy.

Will I be able to use my base domain for my Matrix address? For example @me:mydomain.com instead of something like @me:matrix.mydomain.com.

ok after some digging, looks like this is not very difficult to do. So we could still run matrix under https://matrix.mydomain.com as you may have multiple apps on one machine. But you can still have a user name as @me:mydomain.com using their delegation method: synapse/docs/delegate.md at master · matrix-org/synapse · GitHub
Issue to track: Matrix delegation support to have a shorter username · Issue #699 · syncloud/platform · GitHub

My kids would love to have a Minecraft server on the box

Just to my knowledge as I never played Minecraft, what is the benefit of running a personal Minecraft server?
We used to play Quake in uni to with my flatmates, someone runs a server and others would join.
Is this still the same or these days personal servers do much more than that?

Yunohost

Haven’t used it myself so cannot really comment, they have a lot of apps but when I looked it was a lot of bash scripts and I could not find automated tests for installing upgrading and running an app. In Syncloud I am using a modified Canonical Snap daemon which allows me to have app update transactions which means if it fails to upgrade it rolls back to the last good state and continues to work. Also every time I change an app a set of automated tests are run which tests an install/upgrade scenario and even taking screenshots and video of a basic use of an app before I push it to everyone.

Do you mean this one? GitHub - MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge: Modifications to the Minecraft base files to assist in compatibility between mods. New Discord: https://discord.minecraftforge.net/

Yeah it’s kind of like hosting a Quake server for everyone to play on. A Minecraft “world” is hosted and players can play and build on that world whenever they want. It’s a little different from Quake in that the world is persistent instead of restarting with matches but other than that the same.

Yes I believe that is the project GitHub.

I’m hoping to create reliability by creating backups for rollbacks. I’m up an running on Yunohost, only time will tell if I can keep it reliable.

On the earlier subject of running a local LLM. I no longer believe a dedicated application is necessary as it appears to be doable from a Nextcloud package.

Oh btw the Syncloud Android app seems to have been removed from the Google Play Store. Have you thought about publishing it on F-Droid?

There is nothing in the app really, it just to tell you the device IP and open it in the browser.

Can be downloaded from here: Releases · syncloud/android · GitHub

We do not have it on fdroid.

1 Like